A responsible approach
We are committed to ensuring that our products are safe for people and the environment—from when they are mined to their ultimate use in hundreds of applications.
We implement rigorous standards and practices in the realm of Product Stewardship which has earned us a reputation for product reliability among customers, employees, neighbors, and health and safety officials.
We employ the best available technology and follow exacting procedures to ensure that these standards and practices meet or exceed product safety requirements. These procedures are subject to regular audits conducted by internal and independent experts.
We perform multi-step testing of the ores we use from exploration to mining. In addition, we test our final products to ensure the validity of the controls carried out on the ores. As an additional layer of quality assurance, specific tests are conducted by independent accredited laboratories.
Product stewardship procedures include:
- Mapping our deposits and practicing selective mining as needed to avoid impurities that occur naturally in many ore bodies
- Sampling and testing the ores we mine and purchase to analyze their composition, quality and safety
- Sampling and testing our finished products to ascertain their composition, quality and safety
- Investing in equipment and monitoring and encouraging safe workplace behaviors
- Taking health, safety and environmental impacts into consideration when developing new products and applications
- Developing safety information for people who work with our products at every stage in the supply chain
We also commission independent research on the health effects of our products - and complete life cycle assessments to measure their environmental impact and support our customers' own SD agendas.
Imerys Performance Minerals' products are obtained from naturally occurring ores, which are simply mechanically ground to meet specific end-use performance requirements.
They are exempt from REACh registration in accordance with Title I Chapter 1 Article 2 §7b of REACh Regulation (EC) 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 (cf. Annex V §7 of this Regulation – page L136/98).
As required by the REACh Regulation, Annex V has been reviewed and the exemption for minerals has been maintained and published in the Commission Regulation (EC) 987/2008 on 8 October 2008.
Up-to-date regulatory affairs and product safety documents including Safety Data Sheets and compliance documents are available from our Download Center.