Sustainable Solutions Contributing to our Customers’ SD Agendas
We want to ensure our product portfolio is as sustainable as possible, not just to limit environmental impacts but also because responsible product management helps us develop new business opportunities. We use our technological expertise to create new products that will help meet the challenges of global megatrends such as climate change and resource scarcity.
To do this, we have started using a tool to assess how sustainable our products are, both in terms of how producing them affects the environment from a life-cycle-assessment perspective and how they align with long term sustainability market trends. This tool allows us to quantify key environmental impacts linked to the operational footprint of our products, as well as identify opportunities to develop new solutions that can address unmet social and environmental needs.
The following are examples of how our products can contribute to our own customers' sustainable development agendas:
- In Paints & Coatings
- In Paper
- In Plastics
- In Cosmetics
- In Rubber
In Paints & Coatings
- Eco-Phyl® leucophyllite grades, as well as our Nyad® wollastonite grade have been specially engineered to reduce VOC content in paints. Eco-Phyl® is ideal for sustainable decorative paints and meets today’s increasingly stringent requirements for workplace safety. Nyad® is recommended for low-VOC industrial and marine coatings.
- Opacifying extenders such as Jetfine® can be used to replace less environment friendly TiO2, while maintaining paint quality and covering power.
- As natural, inert substances, many of our minerals are suitable for use in sustainable, organic paints and coatings.
- Imerys talcs and bentonites are ideal natural solutions for eliminating pitch and stickies in virgin and recycled wood fibers without resorting to chemical treatment systems, enabling mills to work in closed circuit and to optimize prime resources. Unlike chemicals, minerals don’t pollute receiving streams, rivers and lakes, and remain in the finished paper as infinitely recyclable fillers.
- Jetfine® and high aspect ratio HAR® talc-based products improve the impact strength PP auto parts such as bumpers, fenders, dashboards and interior trim, allowing manufacturers to produce thinner, lighter parts. Less weight means greater fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions.
- Mistrocell® is ideal for producing lightweight foam composite materials with improved stiffness for the automotive and packaging industries.
Glass fiber replacement
- In recycled polyamide, Imerys wollastonites such as our Nyglos® product make excellent cost-effective alternatives to less environment-friendly glass fiber.
Recycling and biopolymers
- ImerLink™ is a mineral-based compatibilizing agent used to solve miscibility issues and boost the performance of recycled PE and PP.
- Steagreen® restores mechanical properties to recycled plastics compounds, allowing them to meet the specifications of high performance engineering applications.
- Imerys talcs are ideal, natural solutions for reinforcing modern, biodegradable biopolymers.
- Our ImerCare®P-Scrub grades are ideal, ecofriendly alternatives to oil derived beads used in scrub applications. Developed using patented engineered technology, ImerCare® P-Scrub combines the natural hardness of volcanic rock with the softness of spherical particles to provide a gentle, physical exfoliation effect.
- ImerCare® Opaline and ImerCare® Opaque are 100% natural mineral alternatives to synthetic ingredients such as polymers and nano-particles used to provide opacity and pearlescence in shampoos and showergels.
- Mistron® is an ideal partial replacement for less environmentally friendly, oil-based carbon black in rubber. Mistron® improves impermeability enabling thinner and lighter tires to be produced. This improves rolling resistance, which in turn provides benefits in terms of fuel consumption and wear resistance.