Sustainable Solutions Contributing to our Customers’ SD Agendas
We want to ensure our product portfolio is as sustainable as possible, not just to limit environmental impacts but also because responsible product management helps us develop new business opportunities. We use our technological expertise to create new products that will help meet the challenges of global megatrends such as climate change and resource scarcity.
To do this, we have started using a tool to assess how sustainable our products are, both in terms of how producing them affects the environment from a life-cycle-assessment perspective and how they align with long term sustainability market trends. This tool allows us to quantify key environmental impacts linked to the operational footprint of our products, as well as identify opportunities to develop new solutions that can address unmet social and environmental needs.
The following are examples of how our products can contribute to our own customers' sustainable development agendas:
- In Paints & Coatings
- In Paper
- In Plastics
- In Cosmetics
- In Rubber
- In Ceramics
In Paints & Coatings
- Eco-Phyl® leucophyllite grades, as well as our Nyad® wollastonite grade have been specially engineered to reduce VOC content in paints. Eco-Phyl® is ideal for sustainable decorative paints and meets today’s increasingly stringent requirements for workplace safety. Nyad® is recommended for low-VOC industrial and marine coatings.
XCS Carb Series is a range of safe and consistent ground calcium carbonates that fall below OSHA’s reportable limit for crystalline silica content. Due to our proprietary processing method, Imerys can provide lower silica alternatives for our customers' most sensitive applications.
EcoFlat™ 1880 is a natural mineral product with a low carbon footprint and low crystalline silica content. A highly effective matting agent, the hybrid morphology of the EcoFlat™ 1880 allows low sheen levels to be achieved as well as low oil absorption and high mineral hardness which enhances scrub resistance in high PVC decorative coatings.
- Camel-wite™ is manufactured from high purity marble, which is ground and further refined through a flotation process to remove slight impurities in the ore body. The benefits of this production process are products that have high brightness, whiteness, tight particle size control, and consistency in a wide variety of coatings formulations.
- As natural, inert substances, many of our minerals are suitable for use in sustainable, organic paints and coatings.
Fiber-based packaging is the only packaging material that is created from renewable resources and is widely perceived by end-users as the green solution. Coatings that contain polyethylene, fluorochemicals, or waxes hinder the recyclability and repulpability of post-consumer packaging. Barrikote™, our barrier coating formulations solution, provides a sustainable alternative to wax, fluorochemicals and petrochemical-based extruded or laminated polymers such as polyethylene.
EcoBright™ is an optimal source of alkali in pulp bleaching, helping to save costs, reduce chemical consumption, increase fiber strength and minimize effluents. EcoBright™ is a stabilized magnesium hydroxide solution that is not only environmentally friendly but delivers cost savings by ensuring optimized use of magnesium sulfate, caustic soda, silicate and/or hydrogen peroxide in the recipes. Using EcoBright™ in pulp bleaching can achieve many benefits including higher brightness values, less COD/BOD burden, better pulp dewatering and consequently, higher yield and cleaner water circuits.
- In recycled polyamide, Imerys wollastonites such as our Nyglos® product make excellent cost-effective alternatives to less environment-friendly glass fiber.
- ImerLink™ is a mineral-based compatibilizing agent used to solve miscibility issues and boost the performance of recycled PE and PP.
- Our ImerCare®P-Scrub grades are ideal, ecofriendly alternatives to oil derived beads used in scrub applications. Developed using patented engineered technology, ImerCare® P-Scrub combines the natural hardness of volcanic rock with the softness of spherical particles to provide a gentle, physical exfoliation effect.
- ImerCare® Opaline and ImerCare® Opaque are 100% natural mineral alternatives to synthetic ingredients such as polymers and nano-particles used to provide opacity and pearlescence in shampoos and showergels.
- Imerys ReMined pre-consumer recycled calcium carbonate provides high quality and consistency while minimizing the environmental impact for a variety of product applications. ReMined products adhere to strict manufacturing practices and is third party certified. ReMined can improve LEED points qualification for 100% recycled content and local sourcing, low heavy metal content and can replace higher-cost resins at comparable performance levels.
RR-1 is a ball clay designed to maximize green strength in porcelain ceramic tiles reducing the use of less environmentally friendly binders. It is also processed to minimize energy. Crudes are stored in a way to maximize natural drying resulting in minimized mechanical drying.