Horticulture Imerys minerals for enhanced plant growth
Imerys supplies a full range of raw and expanded perlites for horticultural production.
A substrate, growing medium, or potting mix, is a combination of one or more organic/inorganic components. The organic components are typically bark, peat, coconut coir, rice hulls, and more. Perlite is an inorganic component that can be added to help ensure that the formulated product meets the following criteria.
- Provide anchorage for the plant
- Provide a reservoir for water
- Allow oxygen/gas exchange for roots and drainage
- Retain nutrients for uptake
Table 1: Comparison of Some Characteristics of Growing Media Components
Imerys perlite are environment-friendly soil conditioners for growing substrates which significantly improve plant growth and impact from biotic and abiotic stress. Used in:
- Growing media
- Rooting of cuttings
- Turf production
- Compost production
- Green roofs
- Top soils for golf courses, playing fields, etc.
- Bonsai and orchid production
- Aerate the substrate, growing medium, or potting mix
- Improve the water holding capacity
- Reduces plant stress
- Stimulates plant growth
- OMRI Listed
Recommended grades (North America):
- Cornerstone raw perlite
- American Garden Perlite (AGP) expanded perlite
- Harborlite expanded perlite
Recommended grades (South America):
We offer a full range of custom formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.