Concrete Imerys minerals can improve the strength and durability of concrete formulations
Imerys provides a range of high quality minerals and additives that provide reliable cost-effective solutions for the production of various types of concrete and cement
Naturally occurring alumino silicate minerals react with calcium hydroxide formed during the cement hydration, creating more stable calcium silicate and calcium illuminate compounds that improve the strength and durability of concrete. Imerys provides a variety of ultra-fines natural pozzolans that conform to the requirements of ASTM C618.
Metakaolin is manufactured from refined kaolin calcined under controlled conditions designed to optimise pozzolanic reactivity.
Imerys metakaolin provides multiple benefits:
- Improves compressive strength in Portland cement-based concrete
- Quicker curing times: making it ideal for applications where high strength is required within a short timeline, such as airport runways
- Reduced efflorescence: by reducing the porosity of the concrete and reacting with calcium hydroxide before it reaches the concrete surface
- Protects reinforcing bars from corrosion: refined pore structure inhibits corrosive acids, salts, and sulfates from permeating the concrete structure, making it ideal for road and marine applications
- Reduces crack formation: by lowering heat of hydrating and refined pore structure prevents cracks caused by freeze-thaw cycles
- Improved viscosity: reducing the tendency to bleed, making leveling and achieving a good surface finish easier
- Reduces deleterious expansion from certain types of reactive aggregates: helps mitigate alkali-silica reactions
We recommend our Argical™ M and MetaStar™ metakaolin ranges for concrete.
Expanded perlite for lightweight concrete
Lightweight concrete is characterized by a low loose bulk density (below 2000 Kg/m3) and high thermo-acoustic properties. It is produced by partial or total replacement of the aggregates in the concrete by lightweight aggregates.
Used as aggregates in lightweight concrete, our raw graded perlites provide low densities (below 1,200 Kg/m3) and excellent thermal-acoustical insulation properties.
Wollastonite for fiber reinforcement
Wollastonite is a naturally occurring mineral with a high aspect ratio that serves as fiber reinforcement in concrete. The calcium silicate composition of wollastonite allows it to chemically bond with the cement matrix, providing superior strength and resistance to crack formation.
Wollastonite has a synergetic effect when used in combination with natural pozzolans that enhance the strength and durability of concrete.
Imerys wollastonite products:
- Improve early age strength
- Reduce micro-cracking
- Increase flexural and compressive strength
- Provide superior ductility and fracture toughness
- Provide greater shrinkage resistance
- Are excellent for extending macro fibers and textiles
- Provide ease of mixing
- Are a sustainable replacement/reinforcement on a micro scale
- Are naturally occurring, safe mineral additive
We recommend our Nyad® G product for concrete applications.
Imerys offers high purity marble products that can be used as aggregate, sand, or mineral filler in concrete applications. The white color of carbonate products enhance the appearance and aesthetics of concrete by improving the consistency color.
- Improves particle packing which in turn reduces permeability
- Increases resistance to freeze thaw cycling- reduced cracking
- Reduces efflorescence
- Improves placement and workability
- Enhances the performance of other reactive additives, such as fly ash
We recommend our FillerPro™ and ImerCarb™ ranges as mineral fillers for concrete.
Aggregates increase the volume of concrete while enhancing workability and strength. Imerys offers a variety of coarse and fine
We recommend our ImerCarb™ range.
Sand contributes to reduces drying shrinkage and improves workability, making it easier to place and finish fresh concrete mixes. Imerys offers a range of suitable sand products for concrete.
We offer a full range of custom formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.