AUTOMOTIVE CORDIERITE CERAMICS Talc for catalytic supports and gasoline / diesel particulate filters
Talc is the principal raw material for automotive cordierite where it is used to produce the ceramic honeycomb component in catalyst supports and gasoline / diesel particulate filters (G/DPF).
Talc provides the principal source of MgO for cordierite honeycombs, as well as being the primary controller of porosity and coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of the final product. Talc also has a beneficial effect during body preparation, extrusion and firing.
- Provides the principal source of MgO
- Ensures low CTE - if high purity
- Confers a relic pore structure to the catalyst or G/DPF when fired at the correct temperature profile.
- Provides critical lubrication to the thin walls during extrusion.
- Contributes to critical rheology during mixing, extrusion and green body drying.
Highly pure talcs with a specific particle size and low CaO content are required for this application:
- For catalysts – microcrystalline or a blend with lamellar talc will give the best performance
- For G/DPF – lamellar talc is preferred
We supply products for standard-wall, thin-wall and utra-thin-wall structures.
Consistency is key
All our products for automotive cordierite are engineered for consistency in terms of particle size distribution, surface area and chemical composition. This is done through careful ore selection, beneficiation and the use of proprietary milling technology.
All Technical Data Sheets and Brochures are available from our secured Download Center
We have major ceramics technology centers in Europe, the Americas and Asia offering a full range of technical and process support services to help you match the right solution to your application requirement.
And with Industrial facilities and blending platforms in Asia, Europe, Middle-East and the Americas, we have the resources to serve our customers anywhere in the world.