AUTOMOTIVE CORDIERITE CERAMICS Mineral solutions for catalyst supports and gasoline and diesel particulate filters
Raw material solutions for automotive cordierite, where it is used to produce the ceramic honeycomb component in catalyst supports and gasoline and diesel particulate filters (GPGs and DPFs).
Talc has a beneficial effect during body preparation, extrusion and firing, as well as on the properties of the final component.
- Provides a relic pore structure to the catalyst or DPF when fired at the correct temperature profile.
- Provides critical lubrication to the thin walls during extrusion.
- Contributes to critical rheology during mixing, extrusion and green body drying.
Highly pure, lamellar talcs with a specific particle size and low CaO content are required for this application:
- For catalysts – a blend of microcrystalline and platy talc will give the best performance
- For DPF – platy talc is preferred
Our calcined kaolin is produced to ensure complete calcination without the formation of unwanted phases.
- Reduces the likelihood of green body fracturing
- Reduces microcracking
- Reduces cordierite crystal orientation
- Contributes to a low coefficient of thermal expansion of the fired substrate/filter
We supply products for standard-wall, thin-wall and ultra-thin-wall structures.
Consistency is key
All our products for automotive cordierite are engineered for consistency in terms of particle size distribution, surface area and chemical composition. This is done through careful ore selection, beneficiation and the use of proprietary milling technology.
We have major ceramics technology centers in the Americas, Europe and Asia offering a full range of technical and process support services to help you match the right solution to your application requirements.
And with industrial facilities and blending platforms in Asia, Europe, Middle-East and the Americas, we have the resources to serve our customers anywhere in the world.