Biodiesel Filtration A two-in-one diatomite based solution for biodiesel refining
Imerys has developed a surface-engineered diatomite to replace silica gels and magnesium silicates in biodiesel refining, simplifying the process and reducing spent filter cake and oil loss.
Previously used edible oils, cooking oils and recycled animal fats are used for the production of biodiesel and oleochemicals and often contain soaps/phospholipids, glycerol and trace metals that need to be removed as part of the refining process. Typically, this is done during a filtration stage via the addition of a synthetic amorphous silica gel or a magnesium silicate. These products have excellent adsorption characteristics but are poor filter aids causing premature filter blockage and reduced refining capacity. Often, a diatomite filter aid is added to compensate and to keep the filter bed ‘open’. While this achieves the required increase in filtration capacity, it also adds process complexity and results in additional spent filter cake—and associated oil loss.
The solution: CynerSorb®
Imerys CynerSorb® has been developed as a two-in-one solution to replace silica gels and magnesium silicates in the refining process.
CynerSorb® utilizes a diatomite filter aid ‘base’ meaning it has all the filtration characteristics of a diatomite. However, our engineers have successfully surface-engineered the individual diatomite particles so they also provide the necessary adsorption functionality. As a result, CynerSorb® can be used as a two-in-one solution fulfilling both the absorption and filtration functions.
CynerSorb® can also be used to eliminate bleaching earth where no color removal is required, or to significantly reduce dosing rates where some bleaching is necessary.
Application specific benefits
- Excellent filtration characteristics: allows reduction/removal of current filter aid and increases production capacity
- More effective at breaking down soaps, phospholipids, trace metals and polar contaminants than current solutions
- Works synergistically with bleaching earth: allows significant reduction of bleaching earth addition
- Reduces oil loss
- Can be used with a number of feedstocks, including used cooking oil (UCO), refined vegetable oil or animal fat/tallow.
- Are as versatile as pretreatment of feedstock material to reduce impurities, or post treatment to replace current adsorption solution.
We offer a full range of custom formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.