Diatomite filter aids
Imerys manufactures and supplies over 80 different diatomaceous earth grades, with permeabilities to meet virtually every filtration requirement in food and beverage applications.
What is diatomaceous earth?
Diatomaceous earth – or DE - is a remarkable natural product composed of the fossilized remains of aquatic algae, or diatoms, which were deposited on lake beds and the ocean floor some millions of years ago. With time, the diatom skeletons became agglomerated to form a light and porous rock referred to as diatomite or kieselgühr. These remains are virtually pure silica, an inert and insoluble mineral.
Each diatom has an elaborate skeleton permeated by many small holes. It is this structure that holds the key to its unsurpassed properties for removing a wide variety of suspended solids when used as a filter aid. The efficiency of DE is particularly noticeable when filtering liquids that contain very fine hazes or when needing a high clarity filtrate, for example during pre-bottling final filtration for juices and beers.
A wide range of products to match different filtration capabilities
Imerys offers a wide range of different DE filter aids to cover the full spectrum of filtration capabilities.
- Imerys standard Celite® DE filter aids provide superior filtration performance in beer, juices, sugar syrups, and edible oils and many other industrial and chemical applications. Multiple grades ensure optimal filtration performance and the flexibility required when filtering natural raw materials where quality can vary with harvest. Our Celite® brewing grades have a lower level of beer soluble iron (BSI) compared to standard DE grades.
- Celite® 545VO is a high permeability diatomite grade that has been specifically designed for edible oil refining. Celite® 545VO increases the time interval between manual removal and cleaning of filter plates. The particle size of Celite® 545VO has been carefully selected to minimize the fine fraction of the diatomite which typically causes blockage of the filter mesh.
- Celite Cynergy® is the benchmark when it comes to beer filtration and stabilization. Celite Cynergy® is a beer protein stabilizer, engineered with optimal filtration characteristics allowing longer filter runs and lower dosing rates, whilst still ensuring full shelf-life stability of the filtered beer.
- Celite Fibra-Cel® are cellulose based products ideal for rapid pre-coating in beer filtration, especially when old/damaged screens are being used. Celite Fibra-Cel® offers a stable cake formation and can protect the filter cake against unwanted pressure shocks. It aids filter cake release during filter wash offs.
- Our acid-washed Celite® LS DE grades (Low Soluble) are good options for juice filtration where ultra low metals are key specifications. Celite® LS grades filter juices without compromising clarity, time to clarity and flow rate while complying with FDA limits and industry needs for low arsenic levels in juices.
All our filtration products are FCC approved and manufactured in GMP facilities.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.