Anti-cracking & pinholes Imerys minerals for superior anti-cracking performance in interior and exterior decorative paints and industrial coatings
Imerys minerals, particularly our more lamellar grades, help to reduce mud cracking by preventing crack propagation within the film.
The lamellar particles interact with paint binders and other components in the paint creating resistance to tensions that build up in the drying film as it shrinks which:
- Prevents mud cracking, surface cracking and flaking
- Improves coating appearance and durability.
Generally speaking, the higher the aspect ratio and particle size, the better the crack resistance.
- Lamellar Plastorit® leucophyllite grades are ideal for preventing cracking in low-VOC paints, marine and protective coatings, metal topcoats and primers and powder coatings.
- Lamellar Imerys mica grades are optimum products for improving mud crack resistance in protective and OEM coatings, sealant primers and decorative paints.
- Nyad® wollastonite grades reduce cracking and checking in high-performance, low-VOC industrial coatings.
- Platy talc-chlorites such as our Steopac® and Steabright® grades demonstrate superior cracking resistance in alkyd emulsions and acrylic paint formulations.
- Extremely white Celite™ flux-calcined diatomaceous earths are a good choice for preventing mudcracking and pinholes in water-based and solvent-based decorative and masonry paints.
- Extra M100 and PlastGard™ products are good solutions for preventing cracking and pinholes in exterior wall plasters.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.