Opacity and TiO2 extension Imerys minerals improve opacity and are eco-friendly, cost-effective TiO2 extenders
Imerys kaolins, talcs and calcium carbonates make excellent, cost-effective extenders to hiding pigments such as TiO2.
Opacifying extenders are used to improve the effectiveness of titanium dioxide in several ways, depending on the type of paint, the properties required and the pigment volume concentration (PVC). Increasing the effectiveness of titanium dioxide allows the paint manufacturer to formulate a paint to the required covering power and use less TiO2 – reducing overall costs.
Imerys opacifying extenders allow the replacement of 10% to 30% TiO2 without any loss of opacity or other key properties. In high PVC paints, our Engineered Performance Minerals can be used for the total replacement of TiO2 considerably reducing formulation costs.
Hydrous kaolins and talcs optimize titanium dioxide in a formulation by spacing the TiO2 particles for maximum efficiency across a range of PVCs.
Engineered products such as flash-calcined kaolins and precipitated calcium carbonates and other specially-selected minerals provide dry hiding and improved opacity in high PVC matt paints.
Flash calcined kaolins and talcs are excellent natural alternatives to opaque polymers and synthetic aluminum silicates for achieving opacity.
Imerys offer a range of opacifying extenders to allow maximum formulation flexibility. Please consult us to find the best solution for your particular requirement.
- Supreme™ premium kaolin is particularly recommended for achieving optimal TiO2 spacing along with good rheology in high quality matt paint formulations and in high gel strength paints. Supreme™ gives the most efficient TiO2 spacing with minimal gloss reduction and can be used across the widest range of PVCs.
- Opacilite™ is a flash calcined kaolin which provides durability and exceptional opacity in higher PVC paints, making it an excellent choice for TiO2 extension in high quality matt and silk wall paints. Unlike most extenders which give low wet film opacity, Opacilite™ contributes significantly to wet film opacity, helping the decorator apply the paint more effectively.
- PoleStar™ calcined kaolin aluminum silicate extenders have been specifically designed to allow reduction of the titanium dioxide content in high PVC decorative matt paints, without loss of opacity or hiding power. PoleStar™ has an irregular particle shape which promotes the creation of air voids.
- OptiGloss™ XD ultrafine hydrous kaolin extender is a cost-effective solution for enhancing TiO2 and binder efficiency in high gloss paints.
- Jetfine® 1 ultrafine, high-brightness, micronized talc products give excellent dry hiding power in low-to-high PVC decorative paints.
- Mistron® Monomix G talc is an excellent TiO2 extender in all decorative paints and suitable for flexographic inks due to its whiteness, fineness of grind and particle size distribution.
Precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC)
- Socal® UP-G is an ultra-fine PCC with a unique morphology that fosters effective TiO2 reduction at highest level of opacity and brightness in high PVC decorative matt paints. Socal® UP-G can be used to replace up to 40% TiO2.
- Socal® P3 is fine precipitated calcium carbonate which provides high brightness and excellent opacity.
Ground calcium carbonate (GCC)
- ImeXtend® 90 is particularly well suited to extending TiO2 properties in powder coatings for domestic appliance applications.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.