Imerys offers a wide range of carbonate products which differ in particle size, particle size distribution and brightness to suit all paper and board application needs.
Ground calcium carbonate (GCC) is composed of the crystalline mineral calcite which occurs naturally in the form of chalk, marble or limestone. Chalk is usually fine textured and varies in color from deposit to deposit. Marble gives products of highest brightness and lowest yellowness.
Precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) is produced through a chemical reaction process that utilizes calcium oxide (quicklime), water and carbon dioxide to produce very pure calcium carbonate crystals. Through the reaction process, the crystals can be tailored to a variety of shapes and sizes to best fit a customer’s required performance.
Both GCC and PCC are commonly used in many types of paper, both as fillers within the paper structure as well as a coating on the surface. They are particularly prized as cost-effective fiber and TiO2 replacements in paper making.
Application Specific Benefits
- High whiteness, brightness & opacity
- Adaptable rheology
- Improved printability
- Cost-effective fiber and TiO2 replacement
Imerys calcium carbonate ranges
- IntraCarb™: Dedicated filler solutions that provide good retention characteristics, high light scattering, and high sheet brightness.
- Carbilux™ / Carbigloss™: Solutions for high quality coating requirements. Maintains gloss and smoothness of the coated paper or board, even at low kaolin levels. Also aids in improving water retention of coating color.
- Carbital™/Carbopaque™: Versatile range that can cover all coating needs. This family has a high solids content which improves surface characteristics and coverage while providing production flexibility.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.