Talc Imerys talcs are excellent deposit control agents, fillers and coating agents
Soft, platy Imerys talcs make excellent environment friendly pitch and stickies control agents, wet-end fillers and coating agents in pulp and paper production.
Talc has a high specific area and low surface energy and shows an affinity for organic substances such as wood pitch and stickies such as wood resins, adhesives, inks and waxes. Talc pacifies pitch and stickies throughout the papermaking process, during flotation, cleaning and in the finished paper.
Talc can be added to the process at different points depending on processing factors, the nature of the fiber and the size of contaminants. It is chemically inert and will not pollute process waters, disturb other process parameters or react with other additives, enabling papermakers to work in closed water circuits.
Talc is effective for pitch and stickies control in both chemical and mechanical virgin pulp deinked (DIP) and recycled fiber (RCF) pulp. It is ideal for newsprint SC and LWC paper, wood-free printing grades, tissue paper and board.
We recommend our Mistron® and cationized Mistron® K talcs for pitch and stickies control.
Imerys talcs make excellent low-abrasion, high retention filler grades for paper where they:
- Provide high retention
- Impart good mechanical properties to the paper
- Provide fast dewatering
- Improve wet web strength
- Reduce drying time
- Can be used under acid and neutral conditions
- Reduce dye usage.
Imerys wet-end filler ranges include:
- Steafil™ FA - food-additive grades
- Luzenac range
Imerys offers a range of coating talcs for rotogravure and offset printing papers which enhance runnability and the quality of the finished paper.
In rotogravure applications, Imerys coating talcs:
- Reduce core bursts and crepe wrinkles, improving printing press runnability
- Improve smoothness, lowering surface friction and enabling jumbo roll production
- Strengthen resistance to fold breaks during reel changes reducing broke levels
- Maximize ink transfer, bringing better image quality in the halftone area and reducing missing dots
- Allow increased usage of high brightness pigments— including calcium carbonate—in coating formulations in mills operating under alkaline conditions
- Give low high shear viscosity, allowing higher solids and improved fiber coverage—crucial for mail order catalogs and ULWC papers
- Confer good coating hold-out
The excellent runnability of our rotogravure coating talcs match the high production speeds used at LWC plants and print houses.
We recommend our Helicoat® range for rotogravure coated paper.
In matte offset applications, Imerys coating talcs:
- Solve ink scuff problems in papers with a high calcium carbonate content
- Provide a silky feel to matt paper, improving readability and touch
- Provide a matt effect (lower sheet gloss, higher print gloss)
- Control ink drying speed, decreasing print mottle and improving opacity
We recommend our Lithocoat® range for matt offset coated paper. It is also an excellent solution for solid board coatings.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.