Automotive Imerys minerals improve the stiffness/impact balance, HDT and dimensional stability of lightweight thermoplastic automotive parts
One of the most critical challenges facing auto manufacturers today is how to reduce the environmental impact of the vehicles they produce. Imerys minerals make excellent, green multi-functional reinforcement fillers and cell nucleants for automotive plastics such as polypropylene (PP) and engineering thermoplastics, allowing manufacturers to reduce part weight. They are also cost-effective replacements for glass fiber and improve scratch and mar resistance.
Automotive under-the-hood parts
- Imerys engineered talcs, wollastonites and micas improve the stiffness/impact balance of automotive under-the-hood plastics, enhancing heat resistance and CLTE.
- Wollastonites and talcs can be used to replace or extend glass fiber in automotive polyamides, improving cost/performance ratio as well as isotropic dimensional stability and surface appearance.
- Micas are an excellent choice for automotive applications requiring sound damping.
- Talcs improve heat resistance in recycled plastic compounds enabling their use in under-the-hood parts.
Automotive dashboard and interior trim
- Imerys talcs and wollastonites are ideal reinforcing agents in rigid and foamed automotive plastics and recycled automotive plastics where they:
- enhance stiffness, allowing downgauging and weight reduction
- improve dimensional stability
- provide enhanced color-control and matt surface
Automotive bumper, body panels and exterior trim
- Imerys talc and wollastonite generate superior impact/stiffness balance and a low CLTE – ideal for zero gap automotive designs, including recycled plastics. They are ideal for lightweighting.
- Wollastonite and talc can be used to replace or extend glass fiber in automotive polyamides, improving cost/performance ratio as well as isotropic dimensional stability and surface appearance.
- For weather resistant automotive exterior trim, we particularly recommend our high purity, lamellar, ultra fine talc grades.
Imerys minerals are used in semi crystalline and amorphous thermoplastics.
Plastisols & sealants
Plastisols and sealants are widely used in the automotive industry for coating, bonding, sealing, and sound damping. Calcium carbonate is the basic raw material in plastisols and sealants for automotive applications.
Imerys minerals are compatible with TPO, PA, PBT, PC/PBT and PC/ABS blends, PPE, biopolymers, polyester blends and PVC resins.
- Our high aspect ratio HAR® talcs make ideal reinforcement fillers in automotive polypropylene (PP) where they maximize stiffness and heat distortion temperature. They minimize shrinkage and thermal expansion in plastic compounds making them ideal for zero gap designs. They can be used at loadings of up to 40%.
- Our Jetfine® range of ultrafine talcs improves impact resistance at maximum stiffness and dimensional stability in automotive PP and engineering thermoplastics.
- Jetfine® is an excellent solution for improving scratch and mar resistance while improving mechanical properties.
- Our CrysTalc® range is an excellent nucleating agent in PA for under the hood applications and in PP for automotive dashboard and interior trim applications.
- Our Mistrocell® range confers outstanding cell nucleating performance in lightweight foamed automotive applications.
- Our Steagreen® talcs for improved mechanical properties, dimensional stability and heat resistance in recycled automotive plastics.
- Our Steamic® range is also ideally suited to automotive applications.
Imerys talc grades are available in compacted form for easy handling, less dusting, improved housekeeping, increased compounding throughput and dosing accuracy.
- Our Nyglos® range of high aspect ratio wollastonites are good reinforcement fillers in engineering thermoplastics (ETP) where they improve stiffness, HDT and rheology including in fire retardant formulations. They are ideal fillers in nylon (PA) where they acts as high strength reinforcement agents.
- Nyglos® products are high purity and high brightness which makes them suitable for natural color and color matching compounds. They are odorless, offer low compound density and improve physical properties.
- Our Suzorite® high aspect ratio phlogopite grades are ideal for automotive sound damping, as well as for improving stiffness, HDT, shrinkage, and dimensional stability in under-the-hood parts.
Some of our finer grades are available in compacted form for enhanced compounding throughput and dosing accuracy.
Calcium Carbonate range
- Our Socal® and Winnofil® calcium carbonate ranges are recommended as the basic raw material in plastisols and sealants for automotive applications.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.