Glass fiber extension Imerys minerals make excellent glass fiber extenders in polyamides
Imerys minerals such as wollastonite, calcined kaolin, mica and talc, can be used in partial replacement of chopped glass fiber in polyamide compounds to reduce warpage and improve surface appearance, rheology and isotropy of mechanical properties.
High aspect ratio wollastonite products improve thermo-mechanical properties in plastics, especially polyamides, and are excellent extenders for chopped glass fiber.
High aspect ratio wollastonite can be used to replace one third of chopped glass fiber in polyamide formulations where it:
- Maintains or even improves thermal and mechanical properties
- Improves surface aesthetics due to less splay during injection molding
- Reduces equipment abrasion, hence maintenance costs
- Increases brightness and gloss
- Maintains weldline strength (especially surface treated wollastonite)
Imerys wollastonites are cost-effective replacements for milled and chopped glass fibers in polyamides and other engineering alloys which need to meet UL-94 flame retardant (FR) properties.
We recommend our Nyglos® wollastonite for these applications.
Platy talc minerals are good reinforcing additives that can be used for partial replacement of chopped glass fiber to:
- Improve melt rheology
- Increase stiffness and heat deflection temperatures
- Reduce anisotropy—inherent in glass fiber filled formulations
- Increase crystallization temperature, hence reducing injection molding cycle time
They also provide cost-effective reinforcement solutions for recycled polyamides.
Highly delaminated Imerys mica products are good reinforcing additives that can be used in partial replacement of glass fiber to maximize stiffness and improve isotropy while maintaining strength and toughness properties inherent to glass-fiber reinforcement.
Partial replacement of chopped glass fiber with mica in polyamides:
- Improves flexural / tensile modulus
- Maintains heat deflection temperature
- Improves melt rheology
- Reduces cross-flow shrinkage and anisotropy inherent in glass fiber filled formulations
We recommend our high aspect ratio Suzorite® mica products for the extension of chopped glass fiber in polyamide 6, polyamide 6,6, or recycled polyamide applications.
Imerys silane-modified calcined kaolin is used in Engineering Thermoplastics (ETPs) to enhance key performance requirements including reinforcement and reducing warpage and shrinkage of the molding.
Used in in combination with glass fibers in polyamide 6 and polyamide 6,6, silane-modified calcined kaolin significantly improves:
- Elongation at break
- Falling weight impact strength
- Unnotched Charpy strength
We recommend our Polarite™ grades where impact strength is a critical performance requirement in combination with low shrinkage and warpage.
Polarite™ can be used in conjunction with HAR® talc, wollastonite and mica and chopped glass fiber.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.