Nyglos® An all-round solution for plastics reinforcement and partial replacement of chopped glass fiber with enhanced flame retardancy
- Superior reinforcement in ETP
- Partial replacement of chopped glass fiber
- Improved flame retardant performance
The acicular morphology, thermal stability, and chemical purity of high-aspect-ratio Nyglos® wollastonite make it a superior reinforcement agent in plastics, especially engineering thermoplastics such as polyamide and PC/ABS. Nyglos® is also an ideal solution for replacing or extending milled glass and chopped glass fiber in engineering thermoplastics, including polyamides. It is ideal for improving FR performance of intumescent flame retardant (FR) formulations.
Nyglos® wollastonite has an acicular structure
Due to its acicular morphology, fine particle size and high aspect ratio, Nyglos® wollastonite provides:
- Improved rheology
- Increased stiffness (flexural modulus)
- Improved heat deflection temperature (HDT)
- Reduced CLTE and shrinkage
- Improved weldline strength (especially surface treated wollastonites)
Polyamide 6 (PA6) reinforcement
High aspect ratio Nyglos® wollastonite products can be used for the reinforcement of Polyamide 6 (PA6), where their stiffness (flexural/tensile modulus) and weldline tensile strength competes with chopped glass fiber and considerably improves melt rheology—an ongoing challenge for glass-fiber filled PA6.
PA6 filled with 30 wt% of Nyglos® 4W-10012 can be used to replace 30% GF-filled PA6 while:
- Provides stiffness and weldline tensile strength comparable to chopped glass fiber
- Considerably improves melt rheology
- Increases weldline stiffness (tensile modulus)
- Maintains weldline tensile strength
- Improves melt rheology (as measured in spiral mold flow length)
Spiral mold flow length increases with increasing Nyglos® to GF ratio in polyamide 6
Flame retardant applications
Using Nyglos® in intumescent flame retardant (FR) formulations of glass-fiber filled PA6 can enhance FR performance to achieve UL94 V0 ratings for thinner specimens.
For example, replacing 10% of GF in a 30% GF-filled intumescent FR PA6 allows manufacturers to achieve UL94 V0 rating at 1/32” thickness while improving melt rheology compared to the same formulation filled with 30% GF.
It also allows compounders to use lower levels of FR additives to achieve UL94 V1 rating.
Nyglos® products are recommended for use in:
- Reinforced polyamides, particularly PA6 applications with injection molding weldline
- Flame retardant polyamides, for improved FR performance at reduced thickness
- Automotive applications requiring enhanced reinforcement
- E&E applications
- Household appliances
We offer a full range of custom formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.