Sound damping Imerys micas - your ideal solution for structural vibration damping
Many types of minerals can be used to achieve the maximum amount of heat dissipation but mica remains the most efficient of all. In tests, selected grades of mica at different loadings generated sound damping properties comparable to, or exceeding, glass fiber.
Imerys micas are ideal for improving noise reduction in polymeric compounds for:
- Power tool housings
- Under-the-hood automotive parts
- Bitumen membranes for use in automotive and domestic appliances
- Water-based structural vibration damping coatings for trains, boats, buses, airplanes, cars and many other applications.
In most cases, sound proofing is not the only property desired from a polymer based composite, it is therefore important to note that mica can also provide other benefits, namely:
- Increased flexural modulus and strength
- Improved heat deflection (HDT) performance
- Increased tensile strength
- Improved impact properties
- Demonstrable cost advantages
- Decorative effects
We recommend our Suzorite® range for sound damping.
We offer a full range of custom formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.