Carbon black replacement Imerys minerals - cost-effective, environment friendly alternatives to carbon black
Imerys minerals make cost-effective and low environmental impact (LEI) alternatives to carbon black where they improve the processability and mechanical properties of rubber compounds.
Microlamellar Imerys talcs demonstrate a synergism with carbon black.
Used in addition to, or as a partial substitution for, carbon black in EPDM compounds, Imerys talc:
- Improves processability -lowering viscosity and improving mold flow and extrusion rates
- Enhances mechanical properties such as elongation at break, modulus and cut/tear resistance
- Reduces plasticizer evaporation, resulting in superior thermal and weather resistance
- Reduces permeability by creating a barrier to the diffusion of gases
- Improves the dispersion of carbon black-lowering mixing time by up to 20% in tire tread compounds for example, increasing production output
- Prevents scorch
We particularly recommend our Mistron® range for synergism with carbon black.
Mistron® talc can also be surface-treated with organofunctional silane coupling agents to improve filler/elastomer interaction. This interaction results in increased modulus and a significant reduction in compression set.
Wollastonites are ideal for replacing carbon black in fluoroelastomer O-ring and gasket applications where they improve compression set and curing time.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.