Carbon black replacement Imerys minerals - cost-effective, environment friendly alternatives to carbon black
Imerys minerals are cost-effective semi-reinforcing agents which can be used in partial substitution of more expensive carbon black where they improve the processability and permeability of rubber compounds and lower the overall carbon footprint of the end product.
Used as a partial substitution for, carbon black rubber compounds, Imerys minerals:
- Improve processability—lowering viscosity and improving mold flow and extrusion rates
- Maintain mechanical properties such as elongation at break, modulus and cut/tear resistance
- Reduce plasticizer evaporation, resulting in superior thermal and weather resistance
- Reduces permeability by creating a barrier to the diffusion of gases
- Improves the dispersion of carbon black
- Reduce electrical conductivity
Microlamellar Imerys talcs, in particular, demonstrate a synergism with carbon black.
We particularly recommend our Mistron® range for synergism with carbon black in EPDM. Mistron® talc can also be surface-treated with organofunctional silane coupling agents to improve filler/elastomer interaction. This interaction results in increased modulus and a significant improvement in compression set.
Wollastonites such as our Wollastocoat® grades are ideal for replacing carbon black in fluoroelastomer O-ring and gasket applications where they improve compression set and curing time.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.