Carbon black replacement Imerys minerals are cost-effective, environment friendly alternatives to carbon black
Imerys minerals are cost-effective semi-reinforcing agents used in partial substitution of more expensive carbon black, where they improve the processability and permeability of rubber compounds and lower the overall carbon footprint of the end product.
Used as a partial substitution for, carbon black rubber compounds, Imerys minerals:
- Improve processability lowering viscosity and improving mold flow and extrusion rates
- Maintain mechanical properties such as elongation at break, modulus and cut/tear resistance
- Reduce plasticizer evaporation, resulting in superior thermal and weather resistance
- Reduce permeability by creating a barrier to the diffusion of gases
- Improves the dispersion of carbon black
- Reduce electrical conductivity
Imerys kaolins such as our Glomax® range are ideal for use in partial replacement of carbon black in seals and gaskets where a superior compression set is required.
Suprex™ air float kaolin is the mineral of choice for achieving good mechanical performance in hoses.
Wollastonites such as our Wollastocoat® grades are ideal for replacing carbon black in fluoroelastomer O-ring and gasket applications where they improve compression set and curing time.
We offer a full range of custom formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.