Industrial & Consumer Goods Imerys minerals improve the performance and durability of molded and extruded parts for industrial applications and consumer goods
Imerys minerals are key ingredients for boosting the performance of rubber applications ranging from domestic appliance seals and hoses to footwear and flooring.
Used as multifunctional fillers and processing aids, Imerys talcs, kaolins, carbonates, graphites and carbon blacks improve the properties of conventional or thermoplastic rubber products such as gaskets and seals for domestic appliances, cables, shoe soles, flooring and mattresses.
Industrial flooring must be resistant to wear and tear, have excellent non-slip properties and provide a comfortable cushioned feel that can endure heavy duty use without losing properties. Other desirable properties include good resistance to marking and good compression set along with low VOC emissions.
Rubber flooring is typically based upon SBR and natural rubbers.
Imerys semi-reinforcing kaolins, often blended with precipitated silica, provide good abrasion and tear properties in SBR and natural rubber flooring.
Gaskets and seals
Industrial gaskets and seals are often injection-molded articles that are significantly deformed during production. In particular, a washing machine seal undergoes extreme stretching during de-molding. As such, the gasket/seal must have outstanding hot tear resistance coupled with excellent tension and compression set properties.
- Calcined kaolins such as our Polestar™ grades due to the excellent compression and tension set performance they provide.
- Silane coated talc Mistrobond® and Polestar® and Glomax™ calcined kaolins for providing good surface finishing and flow in extruded profiles.
- Ensaco® conductive carbon blacks for providing electrical conductivity and anti-static properties in specialty gaskets and seals for harsh environments
- Timrex® graphites for abrasion-resistance, improved chemical and thermal stability as well as electrical and thermal conductivity.
Shoe soles need to be extremely tough and highly resistant to abrasion and tear.
- Imerys hydrous kaolins such as our Hexafil™ grades improve the mechanical properties and abrasion resistance of rubber shoe soles.
- Our Mistrocell® talc product is an excellent nucleating agent for foam midsoles.
- Ensaco® conductive carbon blacks can be used at low loadings to provide antistatic properties.
- Calcium carbonate is used in rubber, TPE, PVC and polyurethane footwear as a non-reinforcing diluent to reduce costs.
Imerys hydrous clays and wollastonites are used to improve reinforcement in latex carpet backing.
Chemical release agents
Imerys talc is an excellent anti-sticking agent in compound handling, processing and part manufacture. Coarse and platy talc grades are ideal for use in powder form or as talc-water coatings to prevent unvulcanized rubber-to-rubber adhesion in the manufacture of rubber goods and for cable insulation.
- Luzenac 2 coarse grade for mechanical powdering
- Luzenac 10M2 finer grade for water coatings
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.