Processing & partitioning aid Imerys talcs - effective processing aids improving viscosity, mold flow and chemical release
Imerys talcs improve processability while maintaining mechanical properties and lowering compound costs. They are ideal for use as chemical release agents.
Imerys talcs are highly lamellar minerals. This platyness not only facilitates slippage between the platelets at solid surfaces making it an excellent partitioning agent, but functions as an internal lubricant.
In injection molding and extrusion formulations, Imerys talcs:
- Lower compound viscosities improving mold flow
- Reduce nerve
- Reduce mixing time by up to 20%—talc is organophilic and incorporates rapidly into the compound
- Reduces surface defects such as shark skin
- improve extrusion rates and surface finish
- Minimize wear on processing equipment such as extruder screws and dies.
Used in addition to or as a partial replacement for carbon black, Imerys talcs such as our Mistron® grades reduce Mooney viscosity by up to 40% and improve mold flow and scorch without affecting cure rate. This combination of improved viscosity and scorch safety widens the processing window.
Chemical release agents
Talc is inherently platy and slippery meaning it acts as an external lubricant. Imerys Talc is an excellent anti-sticking agent in compound handling, processing and part manufacture.
Coarse and platy talc grades are ideal for use in powder form or as talc-water coatings to prevent unvulcanized rubber-to-rubber adhesion in tire demolding, and manufactured rubber goods and for cable insulation.
- Luzenac 2 coarse grade for mechanical powdering
- Luzenac 10M2 finer grade for water coatings
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.